[thelist] Is IE 5.0.0 mac a common browser?

Patsy Price beyondwords at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 2 00:33:26 CST 2004

>Is IE 5.0 mac (on mac OS 9) a common browser anymore?

Not in my circles. It's been a long time since I've run into IE 5.0
on Macs. Everybody moved to IE 5.1 as soon as possible and now
they're stuck there. But within this group, IE 5.1 is more often a
backup browser than the browser of choice.

In my circles there are lots of Macs with OS 9.1 that for various
reasons will not be upgrading to OS X. For most on OS 9.1, Netscape
6.2 is the browser of choice, with IE 5.1 as backup.  And that
combination will be around for a few more years.

Also, there are still lots of older Macs with OS 9.1 and Netscape
4.7x, mainly 4.79, again with IE 5.1 as backup.

(I don't see much Netscape 7.0 on Macs, probably because those Macs
that are powerful enough to handle it could also handle OS X and some
more interesting browser choices.)

Patsy