[thelist] ASP to populate .js file?

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Wed Apr 7 16:40:42 CDT 2004

--------------- Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote: ---------------

: Of course standards and accessibility are important.  I agree
: that using JS for integral functionality is wrong.  However, our
: now-silent thread initiator (Christian) did not IMO seem to say
: that he was doing that.  He just wanted to populate a drop-down
: menu from database records.

Yeesh... I had it in my head that he hadn't specified what the
intended usage of the JavaScript was and just wanted to know if
he could utilize ASP within a .js file... I see now, after looking
at his post  againg that this is not the case.

: That does not necessarily imply a
: lack of NOSCRIPT or of regular site navigation to accomplish the
: same tasks in an accessible way.  Client-side scripting is not
: necessarily evil!

Agreed. I use it frequently myself, but only in situations where
the functionality may be maintained whether client side scripting
is available or not.

: If we assume that Christian is reasonably
: standards- and WAI-aware, then the question seems simpler.  The
: alternatives seem to be repeatedly accessing the server file
: system, or having an ASP script to feed the browser JS as a
: cacheable external file.  My vote is for the latter -
: *with* the recommendation that said script should not be integral
: to site functionality.

I agree.  btw, how do you go about getting the browser to cache a
dynamically created file?

-Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com/