[thelist] HTTP_REFERER v user agent

alex beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 09:18:31 CDT 2004

Hi All

in http://uk.php.net/reserved.variables

it mentions this:

"The address of the page (if any) which referred the user agent to the
current page. This is set by the user agent. Not all user agents will
set this, and some provide the ability to modify HTTP_REFERER as a
feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted "

This is a bit worrying. Does anyone know which user agents (eg browsers)
prevent this?

I need this because I'm working on visitor tracker system and I need to
ensure that all visitors orgins are known: ie which ads they have come
in on.

Maybe the only way to do this, rather than putting code into the entry
page, is to rely on the access logs?

Thoughts?

Alex