[thelist] HTTP_REFERER v user agent

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Apr 9 09:29:03 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 15:18, alex beston wrote:
> "The address of the page (if any) which referred the user agent to the
> current page. This is set by the user agent. Not all user agents will
> set this, and some provide the ability to modify HTTP_REFERER as a
> feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted "
>
> This is a bit worrying. Does anyone know which user agents (eg browsers)
> prevent this?

I don't know of any browsers off the top of my head, but plenty of proxy
servers do this.

I get rather annoyed by the http violating "The last page visited by
this user was
XXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

> I need this because I'm working on visitor tracker system and I need to
> ensure that all visitors orgins are known: ie which ads they have come
> in on.

> Maybe the only way to do this, rather than putting code into the entry
> page, is to rely on the access logs?

Use a query string on the ad.

href="http://www.yoursite.example.com/?from=siteAdvertisingYou"
--