[thelist] Theory Question: Client Side or Server Side

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 10:37:19 CDT 2004

--- Scott Brady <evolt at ncsli.org> wrote:
> Assuming that for budgetary reasons, you have to choose between
> only server-side and only client-side. That gives you the choice of
> making it
> so that 100% of your users will have functionality but requiring a
> server trip or not requiring a server trip but having it not work
> AT ALL for some percentage of your users.

I have NEVER been faced with such a choice. I've been in this
industry for 9 years. And again, I'm NOT saying don't have it on the
server side too. All I'm saying is that *in most cases* the
percentage of users who will have JS turned off while visiting a
given site will be extremly low,  to the point of almost nil. Yet
often we tend to go overboard in our concerns for 'users without js
enabled' to the point where we may not make the best decision for the
99.9% of your users and the app in general.

All I'm saying is don't go overboard in your conern for 'non JS
users' and gimp your user experience.

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.DMXzone.com/ - JavaScript Author
http://SparklesParties.com - Princess parties for little girls!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

"Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem."