[thelist] SSI

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Wed Apr 14 19:06:53 CDT 2004

Howdy:

> 2. Do I have to give the main file and the navigation file to be included a
> special extension? One tutorial indicated that I have to name the mainfile
> with ".shtml" extension.

The main file has to be .shtml, .shtm, .stm (unless you fiddle with server configuration as other posters said). The included file can be anything you want.
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/materials/ssi/includes_test.shtml

> 3. Is this the right format: <!--#include virtual="mainnav.html" -->

Yes, but only if mainnav.html is in the root directory of the server. there is also:
<!--#include file="mainnav.html" --> which works for included files in the same directory.

    * Server Side Includes Tutorial, http://www.carleton.ca/~dmcfet/html/ssi.html
    * Apache's Introduction to Server Side Includes, http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html
    * Server Side Includes, http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

> Does anyone have tips on how to allow me to get the includes to work
> locally?

Install a personal web server. The whole point of Server Side Includes is that they only work on a web server.
A very easy PWS that supports SSI is:
http://www.aprelium.com/

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and complex