[thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Apr 15 12:01:27 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Johnston" <chris at fuzzylizard.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

: Ken Schaefer wrote:
:
: >Of course you can connect to MSDE across the network. :-)
: >
: >a) That said, you need to specify what network library you are trying to
: >use. For example, SQL Server/MSDE allows TCP/IP by default, however if
you
: >have some kind of firewall on the server that is blocking the ports SQL
: >Server/MSDE uses (1434/1433), then you're not going to be able connect
: >across the network using TCP/IP. Similar for the other protocols (named
: >pipes etc)
: >
: >b) SQL Server has two authentication modes. Integrated Windows, and Mixed
: >Mode (Integrated Windows + SQL Server). Microsoft is pushing Integrated
: >Windows Authentication, rather than Mixed Mode (which will soon become a
: >legacy feature). With IW Auth, you need to:
: >    - grant the appropriate windows account permissions to login to the
: >database
: >    - give the login appropriate rights to the databases in question
: >    - connect to SQL Server using that Windows context
: >
: >
: >
: >
: Okay, I have installed Enterprise Manager on the computer and can
: connect to the server. I am also able to create an ODBC connection to a
: database on that computer. However, what I can not do is connect to the
: server using Enterprise Manager from another computer on the same network.
:
: When I try and register the server, which is sees with no problems, it
: keeps trying to login using the Guest account. My login account on both
: computers is the same and I have no trouble using to access shares
: across the two computers. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Are you in a domain? Or are you just using two computers in a workgroup that
happen to share the same user account names? If the latter, then Integrated
Windows Authentication doesn't work (I think - it probably does, but I don't
know what you need to do to get it working). This article has the registry
key you need to set to change MSDE to Mixed Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=322336

Cheers
Ken

Cheers