[thelist] Serious antispam measures

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Apr 19 13:00:40 CDT 2004

I've generally heard good things about it.

The problem is more with people who do use it, but forget to whitelist email
lists etc that they are on. Then, whenever someone posts a message to the
list, they get the spamarrest confirmation message.

I know someone who built a duplicate in C# .Net that you can run on your own
server.

WRT to the mail-loop: yes, it can be done. But it relies on the remote host
recognising the "autoresponder" header, and the remote server sending back
an "autoresponder" header as well.

I've thought of another problem though - if you are using this system, and
you send me an email, and I am using this system, and I configure my system
to ignore your autoresponder email (i.e. not generate a response to your
mail), what happens? I imagine the mail will just get trashed. If I allow it
in, then it defeats the purpose of the system - spammers can get around it
by just using the autoresponder header.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Kasimir K" <evolt at kasimir-k.fi>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Serious antispam measures

:
: > What would be really funny is if they used the same system.
: ...
: > generating an endless stream of requests to resend the message...
:
: :-D
:
: But hey, we have to keep machines busy, otherwise the
: might take over...
:
: Isn't it possible though to take care of this in you .procmailrc?
: Couple of quick Googlings:
: http://www.mun.ca/cc/tsg/procmail/procmailex.5.html
: http://www.webquarry.com/tech/techautoresponder.html
:
: And an interesting coincidence: a client of mine emailed me today asking
: whether she should start using http://spamarrest.com/
:
: Has anybody experiences on this? Basically it seems to be just a
: combination of auto responder and white list. As such it might be useful
: for people who can't for some reason use their own auto responders, or
: who want to outsource their white listing. Any other views? Godsend or
: rip-off?