[thelist] Local Director checking web server, not application server

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 13:45:54 CDT 2004

> The problem we have is that when CFMX crashes, the web server is
> still
> running. When the Local Director checks to see if the server is
> responding
> OK, it receives a positive from the server and continues to direct
> traffic
> to the server. Visitors to this server receive errors.

Depending on the version of LD software, there are some (I
understand) extended checking you can do. We have LDs running here,
and the basic availability checking isn't a poll from the LD; it
takes the real IP packet destined for the site, shoots it at the
server it wants to use, and if it gets that packet ACKed, then the
server is In Service. If the packed dies, it goes through the
out-of-service logic (which depends on how you have things set up
with wait times and such). So without going through the extended
settings, the LD is really only checking the server at the IP stack
level --far below the httpd service.

I know Cisco's docs are worse than MS to wade through, but do you
have access to them?

Scott