[thelist] Serious antispam measures

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 21:47:24 CDT 2004

I'm curious how spam bots search addresses in individual's address
books. Is it only by way of viruses? Or are they able to search your
address book in some other way?

My mail program does a decent job of filtering spam and sending it
directly to my junk box, but what I resent is receiving it in the first
place. I'm glad I have a high-speed connection, but if I didn't it
would take forever to download all this junk. I guess I should see if I
can stop it at the server so I don't have to see it on my laptop.

Diane
On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 01:20 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:
> Now spam bots search for addresses on individuals' address books etc.,
> so requiring a certain address is no good any more. (my 'date for
> address' approach offers too little help to this, for too high a
> price, it's not good). Current spam bots are limited to scanning
> addresses, they don't scan subjects or message bodies, so for now it
> is sufficient to require something to be added in the subject.
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown