[thelist] [OT] Ultra ATA nightmare

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Apr 21 06:33:11 CDT 2004

Morning!

This is way OT, but I swear I'll make it up.

A client of mine just bought a 160GB Barracuda drive (ultra ATA/100) and
asked me to replace their existing 20GB drive.  No problem, right?  Well,
not so easy it turns out.

The drive formats great, and I can copy the entire contents of their
existing drive to it using the utilities that come with the disk, EXCEPT for
two files... the two NT loader files.  The log file simply showed an error
saying that it cannot put them onto the drive.  Interesting...

I tried the automated "make the new drive a boot disk" after a reformat, and
it hung up...

Tried installing 2000 from the CD after a reformat and it hung up at the
same spot... it formatted but then just stalled at 100%.

My best guess is that the drive simply won't let me write the boot files to
the disk for some lame reason!  I'm in a crunch now as the client is getting
ready to begin their work day.  Anybody have any idea what may be going on
here?

Thanks (big time) in advance.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer