[thelist] request for assistance on XP Home setup...

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Wed Apr 21 11:33:50 CDT 2004

I have a new PC (old one died a horrible death).

It came with XP, and when I got home found out it was XP Home, oh well.

So, I have 3 boys and they are itching to "cruise the net". They have net
access at school and are used to looking for info on the net for school
assignments.

So, I would like to set up the machine for them to do that. But...

Security is an issue. As in their ability to make *any* changes to the OS,
install apps, poke around in the OS and apps directory, etc.

I would also like to remove their ability to "see" any drives, whatsoever.

Yes, I have a few Tweak apps, but they all need to be configured
individually for each account. Or at least, I can't figure out how to do
this as a group.

Then there is the access to the net.

I figured it would be easier to create a "whitelist" and tell IE that it can
only go to these sites.

Or, I do have Nortons Firewall on this machine. I figure that it can be told
the same thing. But I can't figure out how to make it for their accounts, as
a whole, and not mine.

What I really don't want to do is configure each account individually.

Just lazy I guess.

Can anyone help with this?

Companies I've worked for do this all the time, so I know it can be done.

Thanks

Walter