[thelist] including a querystring in a robots.txt file

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Apr 24 04:10:04 CDT 2004

Is the querystring causing an error in your CF page? Why change the CF page
so that people hacking around with your querystrings don't cause errors (or
more correctly - the errors are handled gracefully). That way you don't get
information leakage out of your app.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Sweeney" <mr.sanders at designshift.com>
To: "Evolt - thelist" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 5:21 AM
Subject: [thelist] including a querystring in a robots.txt file

: I have my custom ColdFusion error handler set up to send me an email
: every time an error is thrown. Lately I've been getting one of these
: notifications spawned by a page being indexed by Yahoo. There isn't
: anything wrong with the page, but somewhere there must be a link to it
: with some garbage in the querystring, which is causing the error. I
: can't find a "remove this url" page on Yahoo, so I'd like to just add
: the offending URL to the robots.txt file. My question is, will including
: the querystring in the robots.txt file cause the bot to pass over the
: page only with that querystring, or will it skip that page entirely? Or
: would this be something that differs depending on the bot?
:
: Sarah