[thelist] Virtualhosts on Windows apache

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Sun Apr 25 19:06:05 CDT 2004

> my understanding is that virtual domains need to be mapped to
> folders below server root - usually subdirectories of htdocs.

Nope, that's not a requirement. Here's a snippet of what I use for v
hosts on my laptop. Not saying it's right but it does work for Apache
1.3.29 on Win2K.

NameVirtualhost localhost

<Virtualhost localhost>
ServerAdmin webmaster at onpointsolutions.com
ServerName localhost
<Ifmodule mod_alias.c>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin F:/wwwroot/cgi-bin
</Ifmodule>
</Virtualhost>

<Virtualhost alana>
ServerAdmin webmaster at alphagirl.com
DocumentRoot F:/wwwroot/alana/
ServerName alana
<Ifmodule mod_alias.c>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin F:/wwwroot/alana/cgi-bin
</Ifmodule>
</Virtualhost>

As for debugging, there's a shortcut in the Apache start menu folder
to test syntax. Try that and see what message appears. And, of course,
re-start Apache after changing httpd.conf or the machine's host file.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s
www.OnPointSolutions.com