[thelist] [OT?] Apple Questions

Tim Beadle tsb at wigner.ioppublishing.com
Wed Apr 28 03:25:22 CDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:07:50AM +0300, Burhan Khalid wrote:
>   I decided that I would get her an apple laptop as her graduation
> present, but since I'm not very knowledgable about apple products, I
> would like some advice.  I went to a local reseller and saw an ibook
> (14") and a powerbook (15", I think).  Both *looked* very nice, but I
> don't know if they have enough muscle for things like photoshop, graphic
> editing, dvd playing, etc.

Seeing as even the base model 12" iBook has a DVD drive, I don't think you have
any worries on that score. Also, the 800MHz-1GHz G4 in the iBooks will be fine
for Photoshop.

As ever, the PowerBook will be better, as it will have a faster processor,
front-side-bus etc and memory, plus the ability to install more memory (up to
2GB RAM on 15" and 17" ones).

Which brings me to my main point: whatever you choose, get as much RAM as you
can afford. OS X needs at least 256MB; 512MB+ is preferable. Get it
preinstalled by the retailer if you don't mind paying a bit more, or order
from Crucial.com if you know what you're doing and want to save money.

I am running OS X Panther on an iMac G3 350MHz (512MB) and it's fine. I don't
push it that hard, though - no Photoshop or DVD drive!

HTH,

Tim
--
"Internet Explorer is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're
gonna get." -- Sjors