[thelist] ms access website solution?

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk david.landy at somerfield.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:58:10 CDT 2004

Thought I'd hear from you on that one, Ken!!

First off, I'm glad we have a resident 'softie around -- it's good to hear
someone sticking up for MS in the occasional debates that occur in this
forum. I've enjoyed your posts, and the extensive knowledge that you have
and so willingly share.

Now, what I meant was:

1. Yes, correct - I'm talking about the back-end, i.e. Jet. My experience: a
while ago, I had a server running several ASP sites with Access (read: mdb)
backends. The mdb's were created in Access 97 using Jet 3.5. Upgrading to
the latest MDAC on my server (as was recommended) suddenly rendered the
mdb's un-writable via ODBC. This was a known "feature" of the release, but
there was no warning on the wrapper that this would happen. Grrr... I had to
find that information by searching the web afterwards. The fixes were to
upgrade the mdb's to Jet 4 which would have required me buying Access 2000,
or so I thought. Can you create a Jet 4 mdb file from scrath via ODBC? If,
so, how? In any case I would have had to have 2000 to manipulate the mdb's
afterwards (they wouldn't have been openable in Access 97). The alternative
was to roll back the upgrade... but there was no "uninstall" on the MDAC
upgrade! Eventually I managed to undo the damage, but it took a while. That
was a frustrating, and annoying experience.

2. Sounds like I boobed about limited database connections on Jet! I think I
may have confused it with my experience of PWS (Personal Web Server) and a
limited number concurrent connections on that?

David

--
David Landy, IT Consultant, Business Intelligence
Somerfield/KwikSave Support Centre

This is the true joy of life. The being used for a purpose
Recognized by yourself as a mighty one.
George Bernard Shaw