[thelist] BUG: Broken Value Attribute for BUTTON Element in IE5+

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Fri Apr 30 23:37:02 CDT 2004

Hi all,

A good three years ago, the following message was posted on this list
about the HTML v4.01 BUTTON tag, and IE submitting the tag content,
instead of the value attribute as specified by HTML v4.01:

http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20001002/017911.html

I have just run into this with Internet Explorer 6 - on a specific page
in my web application, three button tags specified like so:

<button type="submit" name="method" value="downloadxml"

result in the form post submitting "<div class="wide">Get Xml</div>"
instead of "downloadxml".

Not only is the content of the tag being submitted in violation of the
HTML v4.01 spec, but the button is being interpreted as type="button"
instead of the explicitely specified type="submit".

This only happens on some of the button tags on my site, and not others.
It seems as soon as there are two or more BUTTON tags on the page with
the same name, IE's rendering goes pear shaped.

Has anyone else seen behaviour like this? Is there a way of reporting
this bug to Microsoft?

Regards,
Graham