[thelist] Database Schema Suggestions

Mike Migurski mike-evolt at teczno.com
Mon May 3 10:06:25 CDT 2004

> Technique #3 (Flat table) has worked very well for me.  It's greatest
> benefit is EXTREMELY quick selects, which is ideal for browsing.
> Inserts and branch moves require a few more steps, but are still quite
> possible.

I'd be careful with this one -- it's fast, but insertions and branch
movements involve changing data throughout much of the table, a situation
that's ripe for disaster and difficult to recover from if your logic isn't
bulletproof, or technical problems outside your control occur. Try to pair
it with a database that supports "rollback." :)