[thelist] user agent bookmarklet/favlet for IE

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Mon May 3 14:57:28 CDT 2004

----------------------------
Is there a bookmarklet/favlet I can use that will tell me the correct
user agent so that I can confirm that I am using the version I think I'm
using, since Help > About doesn't give the correct information?
----------------------------

You can use something to echo the UserAgent string.  I use phpinfo() in PHP,
in ASP/VBScript you might use
Response.Write(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")).  Simple code for
PHP:
<?php echo 'Your browser: '.$_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]; ?>

Save that to your test server as a .php file and open it with IE 5.  It will
say something like this one from my IE 5.5 on XP:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.1; .NET Crom .1.4322)

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce
NeptuneWebworks.com
voice: 541-302-1438