[thelist] CMS Concerns

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon May 3 15:31:58 CDT 2004

Hi Team,

I've been remodeling my homegrown CMS for sometime know and am at the point
were it's about to go out the door. I realized something pretty drastic
about image uploading. True I can specify a default width of 400, 250, 100,
etc. and the height will size automatically. But what if the end user has no
clue about image resolution techniques. They took a picture with their 5
mega pixel camera and upload this file and all of a sudden users are
downloading 3.6 MB pictures when reading articles.

How do you curb these large image files? Do you place a file size limit on
these images? Attempt to educate the user about image resolution? Include a
note about sending files to me to resize them before posting?

What have been your successes or failures in this department?

Thanks,

Rob Smith