[thelist] ms access website solution?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed May 5 09:31:04 CDT 2004

Hi,

Quick answers to questions I see in the post (may have missed some):

: The recommended workaround is "to use the Microsoft Jet OLE DB 3.51
: provider." [From where?? It doesn't say that either] or to follow links to
: other pages to ensure Jet 3.51 is installed correctly.

Jet OLEDB v3.51 Provider should be in the MDAC. Both Providers where in MDAC
v2.1 IIRC. These days ODBC/OLEDB drivers/providers are not bundled with
MDAC - they are a separate download. The separate download includes both
v3.51 and v4 Providers.

:  1. Given that MS state that "this behavior is by design", and the KB
article
: was published long after MDAC 2.1 came out, why was there no warning about
: this on the MDAC 2.1 page?

Was there something in the readme file that comes with MDAC v2.1? MDAC v2.1
is quite old now, and I don't know where I'd be able to get a copy to
browse. For a break/fix situation like this (if it was not documented in the
readme, you probably could have called PSS, and had them diagnose it for
free. Someone eventually must have called them, and the KB article was
produced as a result).

: Thanks for the info about PWS's max connections - by the way, why limit it
: to 10? Is this to "encourage" people to buy IIS?

IIS is available on Windows NT, Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. The 10
connection limit is hard coded into desktop OSes. There is a 10 HTTP
connection limit, and also a 10 SMB connection limit. Most HTTP v1.1 clients
should only use 2 connections (and keep-alives to reuse the connections), so
a desktop OS should support about 5 users. That should be sufficient for
basic testing purposes (not load testing, but at least to see that a page
works). You will need a server OS to get around this limitation.

HTH

Cheers
Ken