[thelist] PHP install Apache locally on XP

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Thu May 6 14:47:58 CDT 2004

Obviously you already got things running, but FWIW, rather than reinstall
you could change the DocumentRoot in Apache's httpd.conf file (which lives
in [apacheinstalldir]/Apache2/conf).  I use C:\Sites for my webroot, so I
commented the default and added that (note the forward slash):

#DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
DocumentRoot "C:/Sites"

20 or so lines below that, you would also change this:

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
#<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs">
<Directory "C:/Sites">

The best guide to getting Apache/MySQL/PHP going was in Welling & Thomson's
PHP and MySQL Development (2nd Ed), a massive tome (it includes a PDF
version though!).  Safari Bookshelf [1] has it online, or of course
Amazon[2].

[1] http://mandrake.safaribooksonline.com/
[2] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067232525X

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp