[thelist] Legally binding emails [was:] Outlook feature that can bite back

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Fri May 7 09:47:17 CDT 2004

Kasimir K wrote:
> Probably this, as legal matters usually do, varies between countries.
> But how could this be enforced? Both sender and recipient may edit the
> mail. Then again, at least in some countries, ISPs are obliged to save
> emails they are passing (I think... (RIP bill in the UK?)), and messages
> could be verified against these archives.
>
> Any experiences?
>
> .kasimir

I guess it all comes down to a he/she said / he/she said situation.  I
just found it odd that in some environments where almost all
communication with clients is done via email, there was this practise of
modifying the communications.

It doesn't give my much confidence when they insist that all CVs sent to
them are required to be in a Word format and not in a format that is
more open to protection such as PDF.  Who's to say that they are not
"making notes" on my CV before they send it to an employer?

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au