[thelist] Is flash always bad [was: google and other search engines]

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Mon May 10 02:04:06 CDT 2004

> You seem to make an assumption, that flash sites are always heavy,

> But for those who design a web site for dj-bar with target audince of
> 25-30 year old trend setters, flash may be a very good choice.

> but the truth is, that many media oriented sites - be it
> sound, animation or video - are best done with flash.

I'm sorry if you missed my point.  I like Flash.  I have Flash work online.
But a FLASH-ONLY site is unfriendly to search engines, dial-up access, and
the vision-impaired.  And that makes FLASH-ONLY a poor choice for anyone who
intends their web site to attract clients.  Flash is like chocolate ice
cream; it's wonderful, but for most meals, it's an inappropriate choice for
the main course.

> It is clear that you don't personally like flash,

> you are speaking of only yourself now, which is very specific. More generic
view will give better understanding.

> Or do you consider only text as real, good content? And any sound or moving
images as
> always bad content, which should be forbidden?

Sounds like I touched a nerve.  Sorry 'bout that.