[thelist] Is flash always bad [was: google and other search engines]

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Mon May 10 06:40:23 CDT 2004

On Monday 2004 May 10 02:56, Kasimir K wrote:
> You see, I've encountered too many of those people who think
> everybody should make their websites with pico or emacs, read mail
> with pine, and overall forget all that nonsense with GUIs...glad you
> weren't one of those :-)

I don't mind using a GUI, but I do very much mind being *forced* into
using a GUI when there are reasonable CLI/text mode tools that I would
prefer to use. I'd much rather type in something like:

for a in *; do mv $a `echo $a|sed -e 's/__/_/g'`; done

than click on one icon, cursor over, hit "delete" for each excess
underscore, hit enter, then do the same for the next 100 files. For,
say, 5 files, the GUI might be a viable option, but for 100 files, it
clearly isn't.

Oh, and Emacs does have a GUI mode; in fact, there is even a build for
Windows (since at least the latter part of the version 19 era).

--
Shawn K. Quinn