[thelist] Warning: Don't open 'Are you a spammer?'

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon May 10 13:57:05 CDT 2004

Mike wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Seems that there are some guys letting their bot go through the archives,
> picking up the obscured email addresses (like 'evolt at muinar.com' for
> example) - ? The sheer amount of addresses might justify the procedure
> of replacing all ' at ' by '@' and getting valid email addresses in return.

It's actually more likely that a list subscriber has become infected, the
virus has trawled the address book, which will include addresses culled from
list posts, and has mailed out to them in an attempt to infect them.  If
that list subscriber has your list-only address in their address book
(highly likely since you post to the list and you both subscribe to it),
then the virus has a fair chance of attempting to transmit itself to you.

No harm done, and really nothing we can do about it on this end.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him