[thelist] Re: Easy CSS Riddle

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue May 11 08:09:40 CDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who replied! Specifically,

From: Seyon <evolt at delime.com>:
>Any reason you're using spans instead of divs?

   Only that I thought they would stay inline instead of becoming block
elements like DIV. I also tried DIV's, with the same result.

From: "Joshua Olson" <joshua at waetech.com>:
>The floated element should be placed BEFORE the non-floated element.

   Thank you! That works great. And thanks for the extra credit answer, too.

From: joe <stowaway at uklinux.net>:
>How about floating both?

   I swear I tried that, but I think now maybe my page was cached when I was
trying to test it, so I just thought it wasn't working.

From: Kasimir K <evolt at kasimir-k.fi>:
>"The element generates a block box that is floated ... "[1]
>So that span no longer is inline element.

   Excellent! This is just what I was hoping for, not only showing me what
works, but WHY what I was doing before wasn't working. Now my knowledge is
complete. (At least in regards to this posting!)

Thanks again to all!

John Brooking, Application Developer
Sappi Fine Paper
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity