[thelist] Is flash always bad [was: google and other search engines]

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Tue May 11 11:57:04 CDT 2004

On Monday 2004 May 10 15:42, Kasimir K wrote:
> Allen Schaaf wrote:
> > And this is where the hard work comes in, making an appealing
> > entrance to your client's information. Information? I thought we
> > were talking about Flash and other "enhancements" to the web?
>
> Not all information is textual. Some information can be expressed
> only with animation, some requires synchronization of images and
> audio. In these cases, flash is not an "appealing entrance" to
> information, but the best tool to present it.

There are always alternative ways of presenting the same information.
For users on platforms where the Flash plug-in is not present, Flash
will never be the "best tool" and alternatives are needed.

There's so much garbage sent out with Flash, that it's often a better
idea to block all of it and if the information is not there in a
standard Web format, move on to the next site.

> > Well, when you distill the functionality of the site to its
> > essence, what you are providing is information that is intended to
> > bring the potential consumer to the door of the nightclub, etc. The
> > only real difference is the form in which the information is
> > conveyed. And this brings us right to the nub of the question, form
> > vs. function, or put another way, means vs. ends.
>
> True, it's this simple - as long as the purpose is to sell or bring
> customers, and the site does it using text and images. Or actually
> no, it's not that simple even then... if my client runs bussiness in
> an obscure locatation, I might suggest using a flash-map, that the
> users can zoom and move. A 25k flash-map is much better and
> informative than a 100k gif (which would of course be provided as an
> option).

Though, 1k (tops) for the address in text form, along with something
like "next to Taco Bell and Burger King" is often just as useful and is
small enough to be used in addition to the Flash map. Actually, text
format directions are not much heavier, and if the site author knows
how to write directions well, will probably be even more informative.

Believe me, if I'm trying to find out where a business is, and I get
told "sorry, you don't have Flash, our map won't display", I will
immediately go to the competition and I will probably wind up doing my
business there.

--
Shawn K. Quinn