[thelist] Basics of MySQL on Local Server

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 16:23:32 CDT 2004

--- Cable <lparis1 at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> With a new box and (decently) fresh install of Win2k, I would like
> to once again try to get databases running on my machine - after
> several failures a year ago. I currently am running a fresh install
of
> PHP (4.3.6.6, installed manually), abyss web server (x1) and apache

> (latest stable). My server only needs to be accessible to this
machine.

With Apache/PHP already running, installing mySQL is really a breeze.
I've in fact just done this about 30 minutes ago. Download the
windows install at:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html

And simply run it. It's quite the painless process. When you are
through installing it, navigate to your mysql/bin directory locally
and start the server. You can launch the winMySQLAdmin.exe client too
(in the bin dir) if you want.

>From there installing phpMyAdmin should be a breeze too. Just follow
the directions. Unless you have some funky stuff with servers already
running on default ports and so on, you shouldn't have any problem.
Just make sure you note your logins and passwords.

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

There is no missing link, just a fist shaken toward God.