[thelist] Cookies and Session state for Authentication

pouncyisdead pouncy_1 at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 15:45:57 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to build an authenication system that works for the largest possible group of users/browsers, but provides easy updates of user info for my team. I'm on an IIS box, using ASP for scripting. VB.net is also an option.

Right now I'm using cookies, but I'm running into trouble when a client that doesn't accept cookies tries to login with a valid user/pass combo. The page has no way of maintaining/passing state.

What is the best combination of cookies, sessions or anything else for browsers with high privacy settings, when trying to maintain state?

--
Mike Pouncy - DorkExtraordinaire
  "All you can see is your brutal success / And damn the dead and fear the mess."