[thelist] PageRank changes for different versions of same URL

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Fri May 14 02:36:32 CDT 2004

Why is the Google PageRank different depending on whether you test

http://www.example.com
or
http://example.com

<tip type="Determine Google PageRank" author="Stuart Young">
You can determine your sites Google PageRank without installing the
spyware Google toolbar at:
http://rankwhere.com/google-page-rank.php
</tip>

For a real data example, here's my site and some of our competitors.
Why do some have high page rank for both versions while others are low
for the version without www. Does it matter?

www.greens.org.nz	       6
greens.org.nz	3

www.labour.org.nz	       6
labour.org.nz	6

www.national.org.nz           6
national.org.nz	       3

www.nzfirst.org.nz	      5
nzfirst.org.nz	1

www.act.org.nz	     6
act.org.nz		5

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and
complex