[thelist] Cold Fusion

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Fri May 14 23:51:47 CDT 2004

> Granted, I know there are issues with using it in a shared hosting
> environment, those are usually easily worked around. There have been a
> lot of major upgrades with CFMX.

I'd like to hear some of these; I've not had any issues in well over a
year of hosting several sites on a single box, all using CFMX, many
using CFCs, etc.

As far as passwords and open datasources, that's really something that
can be managed by a) setting password access to your database and b)
naming your databases with unique names--and unless someone knows that
name, it's not going to exactly be a walk in the park for them.  This is
another issue I've yet to deal with, and, at the same time, have been
able to purposefully query other databases on the same server (ie, I do
a global IP address ban from one db instead of across each site
individually) to create some really nice efficiencies.  We did the same
with our portal development.

I'd say the biggest pain we ever had was accidentally leaving on the
caching and then the sites all appeared to "bleed" over on top of each
other, but without styles--it was pretty crappy, but once that checkbox
was ticked, problem solved.

Russ