[thelist] Resend: Comments on Dreamweaver Contribute - was gotta vent

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Sat May 15 08:54:57 CDT 2004

> So...can anyone tell me (without all the macromedia hype) what kind
> of server end requirements are for this product? Can it work with
> only FTP access? Does it need anything special?

I've used version one on a standard unix/apache, plain html site. The
ftp'ing (by the contribute user) is done through the Contribute
interface. The web designer configures the site to allow the
Contribute client to upload and edit designated portions, but that is
done, IIRC, simply with plain text files created by the program which
reside on the server. It's analogous to Dreamweaver's check in/out
feature which can lock/unlock site files among various DW users --
that's all done with text files which DW creates and then reads on the
server. In both instances, though, there's no need for any proprietary
server stuff. Basically if you can ftp access the server, you should
be able to use Contribute.

There is a full 30 day trial available so you can verify all this
yourself. To get the basics down of the program would likely take less
than an hour.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s