[thelist] Not declaring image dimensions

Howard Scott howard at image100.com
Mon May 17 10:37:32 CDT 2004

As far as I am aware Clive, it basically means that the browser has to ³look
inside² the image and work out how to render it on the page, at the size it
wants to be, rather than just relying on the source code in the HTML, and
doing it at X x Y.

Whether this makes a difference on fast computers like those we have today I
wouldn¹t be sure.  But I think back in the old days (ooh ­ years ago!) ;)
It would have possibly been an issue.

I **think** I am right.

But don¹t roast me if I am not :)

Howard
--

On 17/5/04 4:27 pm, "Clive R Sweeney" <clive at designshift.com> wrote:

> It's become second nature now to *always* include the height and width
> for images, but what is the downside of not including dimension
> attributes in an image tag? Is it that the page will load more slowly
> and that the page display will change as the images load? Or is there
> more to it than that?
>
> ::. clive
>
> Clive R Sweeney
> Durham, North Carolina

image100
Howard Scott
internet project manager
howard at image100.com

image100 limited
3 soho street
london
W1D 3DG
tel: +44 (0) 20 7534 8065
fax: +44 (0) 20 7434 1663
web: www.image100.com

solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
by replying to the e-mail.  Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that
e-mails are free from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the
recipient is requested to use their own virus checking software.