[thelist] PDF problems

T. H. Grejc gmane at cis.u7.da.ru
Mon May 17 15:13:58 CDT 2004

Maisha Walker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been trying to convert a document to PDF using Adobe Acrobat so I can
> put it online and am having trouble.
>
> When I do the conversion, some of the items in my document just don't appear
> in the PDF version!  Lines that are the borders of a table cell, or even
> text.  This happens with both Word and Excel conversions.
>
> I am on Windows 98 using Word and Excel 2000 which I think is the culprit -
> I've seen this happen from another computer using WinME and Office 2000, and
> it wasn't happening on my computer when I was using Office 97.  I cannot
> upgrade to the latest version of Acrobat because it is only compatible with
> Windows 98 *SE*.
>
> Has anyone experienced this happening before?  Have any suggestions how I
> might fix/stop it?

I have had the same problems for a very long time. Than someone
suggested me to use OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice is
OpenSource (you can say free) Office suite and if you use Office
applications a lot you will see that it is much better that MS Office.

MS Office (Word and Excel) create 'broken' documents. Your documents are
not standardized in any way, and available to open *only* in MS Office.
If you want to create PDF's or to manage your complex documents in any
other way, you'll get into trouble (like you already did :) )

I strongly advise you to download OpenOffice and give it a try. After
all it is only 50MB. You can also order a CD for a symbolic price
(basicly you only pay for CD delivery). Basic functions are the same as
in other Office suites. If you do something advanced, and dont know how,
you have mailing lists and forums where you can ask for help.

I hope I have helped you.

Bye