[thelist] OT Win Question - Norton vs McAfee?

Allen Schaaf techwriter at sound-by-design.com
Mon May 17 16:21:49 CDT 2004

At 09:13 AM 5/17/04, Luther, Ron wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>
>Still working with my brother-in-law's old laptop. Was installing the
>McAfee 'suite' of protection apps yesterday.
>[snip]
>
>Would the Norton suite have been any better?  Or would that pretty much
>hit the same issues with a different interface?

Neither is the best choice. System Suite 5 from VCOM is the top rated
utility for the past 3 years by PC Mag. I've been using it for about 5
years and it works. Slightly less control than I like, but it is an
all-in-one that does a ton of real things and they play nice with yahoo
mail as far as I can tell - don't use yahoo mail much so can't say absolutely.

>Sorry ... it's Monday ... fairly lame-o tip for my OT transgression:
>

><tip author="RonL" type="skepticism">
>
>Be sure to maintain a healthy skepticism when dealing with clients, with
>IT, and with your own work.
>
>Cross-check everything.

[snip]

15 years ago the motto in my shop was "The customer is a necessary evil."

Allen Schaaf
Sr. Technical Writer
http://www.doctordoc.info/

Who says bad manuals aren't a risk to your life?  Just ask the passengers
of the jet where the engine caught fire because the company's maintenance
manual was wrong about how to install one key bolt.  (NTSB Report on GE CF6
engine fire, American Airlines flight 574, July 9, 1998.
<http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1999/AAB9903.htm>)