[thelist] Hosting for Dummies

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue May 18 09:45:32 CDT 2004

I realise that this has been asked over and over and over again. However, a
search of the archives isn't showing me anything useful, and I think what
I'm looking for may be a little unusual. What I'm looking for is a hosting
site I can recommend to people who ask The Question: "So, you're a
webmaster. I want to make myself a website, where can I host it?"

What I want: Someplace reliable where people can fill in a form with a
domain name and a few other parameters, pay by credit card, and get back an
SCP username and password, active within a few days at most (I'll likely
end up using this myself too, if it's good). As foolproof as possible, so
that I can point anyone up to and including my aged relatives and their
dogs at it. PHP, CF and, ideally, shell access would all be nice benefits,
since I have no doubt I'll be asked to "improve" these sites in times to come.

Any recommendations? Off-list, should you prefer, and I'm perfectly willing
to listen to someone who can say "We don't do that yet, but I can have it
for you soon".

Cheers,
Drew.