[thelist] Laying out components in Flash

joe stowaway at uklinux.net
Tue May 18 17:00:01 CDT 2004

> I want to do away with the traditional (traditional in Flash and VB
> anyway) way of placing things with pixels and tell the containers that
> you are using "column-layout" or "flow-layout" or "grid-layout" and
> you are using 5px paddings and here are your components.
>
> I want to know if there is something in Flash that allows me to do
> this (even if it's just a bit of the way) or if I have to build it all
> from scratch.
>
> /Marcus

hmm. AFAIK you're talking about a flash wishlist and nothing exists at
the mo which does what you want - I'm ready to stand corrected. :)

Basically, if you attach two different instances of a movie clip or
component to a container, they both want to sit at point 0,0 relative to
the container, not the container's contents.

However, the functionality you'd have to write in order to create the
behaviour you'd like isn't necessarily extensive.  If you're using
createClassObject with a component in your library, then you've already
predefined its absolute size, so its dimensions are known.  To help you
more, though, I'd need to know how you're instantiating your components
- offlist if you like.

joe