[thelist] Automatically enter HTTP Authentication details

Carl Edwards edwards at vitesse.com
Thu May 20 11:26:35 CDT 2004

The only way I can think to do this is to write code
that emulates a browser so you can correctly answer
the servers requests for authentication headers. Then
find some way to have your pages "take over" or maybe
just pass the content through like a proxy?

I believe you will have to base64 encode the name:passwd
string.  One additional thing is you have to send the
credentials with each request you make from their server.

It appears from this article that Java 1.2 has an
Authenticator class that supports basic auth:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip46.html

-Carl Edwards