[thelist] update/correction to FW: preventing multiple web connections to a db app

Mike designbase10 at shaw.ca
Fri May 21 14:26:19 CDT 2004

Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:
> ---------------------------
> I'm looking for a way, then, to force users to login in fresh
>
>>when they want a second window to the app. I can provide more
>>details if it'd help; I'm over my head here, and just trying
>>to facilitate a solution to something I don't fully grok.
>
> The problem is when the *browser* session ID is copied, not the database
> session ID. Essentially, we're looking for a conditional way to disable
> the 'File | New' option.
> ---------------------------
>
> Dunno anything about DB2, but it sounds like maybe more judicious use of
> table locks is what's really needed.  That said, perhaps you can do
> something like: At login, set some randomized code in 2 identical session
> variables;  Populate all links/form actions with that session var (so that
> any get/post request will include the random code), then empty one of the
> session vars after the script HTML output is done. On the next page, capture
> the code in Get/Post Request and compare it with the first session var.  If
> they're identical, proceed with the script (and prob re-populate the 2
> session vars with new random strings before creating more HTML output).  If
> the user tries File>New, one of the two session vars would be empty, and you
> would then end their session and force relogin.  Hope that wasn't too
> muddled to catch what I'm driving at...
>
> Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
> Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce
> www.NeptuneWebworks.com
> voice: 541-302-1438
> fax: 208-730-6504

You could use Adobe Acrobat (not the free reader but the actual program)
to save a single web page, multiple web pages, or an entire website to
PDF. Sometimes its not perfect (fonts and line breaks may not occur in
the exact same spot) but its great for reviewing later. Lots of
customizable options too.

--
Mike