[thelist] HTML Tutorial

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Sun May 23 16:47:23 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 22:23, Robert Teasdale wrote:

>> Is anyone aware of free online HTML tutorials that teach semantic
>> HTML from a beginner's level? For someone who doesn't know the first
>> thing about HTML.

> You may want to try
> http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/basics.html

Well, its good evidence that a Ph.D. doesn't mean you are an expert on
everything.

Taking a glance at it, it spends a lot of time talking about "commands"
and telling you that they give you "The altered text" in various
presentational forms - no talk about what the element actually _means_
(so as a guide to semantic HTML it is utterly worthless (as a guide to
presentational HTML its worse as it suggests using semantic elements for
presentational purposes)).

Joe Burns' material is packed full of errors - I still haven't found a
worse HTML tutorial.

> or
>
> http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/index.shtml

Appears to be better, but still has a lot of focus on presentation
rather then semantics.

http://w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/ is possibly the best I've seen, but still
rather less then ideal.

The HTML 4.01 Specification is surprisingly readable, so I would suggest
starting with the http://w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/ then moving on to
http://w3.org/TR/html4/

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>