[thelist] How do you build dynamic pages?

Dan McCullough dmccullough at garnethill.com
Mon May 24 13:08:47 CDT 2004

About search engines there are other ways around it.  On Apache and I
would imagine on IIS you could have a rewrite rule what would get rid of
the arguments in the URL string
(http://www.garnethill.com/cgi-bin/gh/item.jsp?ItemID=0140 to
http://www.garnethill.com/cgi-bin/gh/item.jsp/ItemID/0140) you can also
do that server side through the URI.

Also you could also do something along the lines of having a subsite,
where you have keyword intensive information pages (flat HTML) with
links, visable only by the search engines, and those links would
redirect anyone clicking in from a search engine to the correct page.
Spiders come into the index page, and see a list of links and meta tags
and whatever keyword specific content on that page, while any browser
would see a javascript redirect and would be taken to the correct page.