[thelist] is there something like eval() in my sql?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue May 25 08:40:31 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 14:42, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Sounds like sub-optimal table design to me.
You could be right there...

> If you normalize the data, then
> you'd just be able to put a criteria in your WHERE clause. Is normailizing
> the data an option?
Ok, the real story is:

I have to match phonecall-records to a pricelist.
The pricelists have a monthly valid period, roughly one list per month, and a
prefix column to link to the call-records by.

currently the pricelists don't have a fromDate or toDate column, there are
simply seperate tables for each period.

So I was trying to link to the correct pricetable depending on the date of the
call - which doesn't seem to work for many reasons.
And thinking about it now, it looks like i will have to put all the pricelists
into one big table anyhow...
I was hoping to avoid this, as each list is 80.000 records as it is...

Will it be best to put all the pricelists into one big table, with
datefrom/dateto columns for each record, or to use a third table with the
datefrom/dateto columns, and link by tableID?

Richard