[thelist] Excel parsing in PHP

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Thu May 27 11:23:38 CDT 2004

Ed McCarroll wrote:

>>M$ likes to "quick save" the latest changes to a file *at the end* of
>>the file.  This means that the actual data may not appear in
>>the order you're expecting it to.
>

> I don't think Excel does that.  In Word, you can turn it off:
>
>   Tools | Options | Save | uncheck: Allow Fast Saves.

Thanks for the info.  I was guessing that if he was unable to dictate
the use of CSV, it is possible that he has no control of the Fast Save
option.

FWIW, I created a sample sheet of data and saved it.  Then, I added the
word "test" to two of the cells that are amungst the other data.  I was
hoping the the data would apear in the same logical order in both the
raw file and the formatted one.

I then saved the file.

The word "test" only appears in the newly saved document once.  Odd.

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au