[thelist] Automate zip?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 20:30:48 CDT 2004

I have to admit that I solved my problem by downloading some unix
utilites for windows and calling them from my batch file. Basically,
call sed to edit a properties file prior to zipping, then call zip.

Then I wrapped it all up in a .hta file. I had never seen one of those
before. The horror! No wonder Windows computers are so vulnerable.
Anyway, it's just for a group of people at my company to use, not for
the public at large.

Diane

On Thursday, May 27, 2004, at 09:30 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> Subject: Re: [thelist] Automate zip?
>

> At 01:53 on Friday, 21 May 2004, Diane Soini wrote:
>
>> Hi, please forgive me as I'm a total Windows idiot. I know next to
>> nothing.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to automate the making of Windows .zip
>> files,Piece-o-cake on Unix. Haven't a clue on Windows. Suggestions?
>>
>> Diane
>
> I don't know if you sorted thisone out, but I stumbled over Back It Up
> a freeware app that zips folders, files etc according to rules you lay
> down.
>

> "A backup program. Backup creates ZIP files, mirror functions via copy
> or FTP. Several backup sets can be configured. Folders and separate
> files can be added to each backup set. For each backup set there's the
> option to delete specified files depending on the extension you enter.
> For each backup set extension for files that should not be included in
> the backup can be specified. Back it up! takes command line arguments
> so it can be executed from a batch files for example. Or create
> special shortcuts(wizards built in for this)."
>
> looks pretty close to helping with your situation.
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown