[thelist] semantic markup

Drew Gilmore drewbert at mac.com
Mon May 31 18:29:39 CDT 2004

Guess I might be a little late to the conversation, but I won't let
that stop me :)

Thing is, it's not just list elements. I often write educational
materials for work, and as is often the standard in print, I'll use
bold to indicate the first appearance of a new vocabulary word. I know
that <b> is discouraged, but I've never been quite sure whether <em> or
<strong> would be more appropriate semantically. There are other times
I've been unsure exactly which <Hn> to use for a particular side bar's
heading.

I'm sure if I thought enough I could come up with other examples... but
often I just wish someone with both a good solid understanding of CSS
*and* an English major or other strong writing background would put
together "The Elements of Style... Sheets" as a guide to proper
semantic markup.

Just a thought.

drew
--