[thelist] CSS sitemap examples?

fstorr fffrancis at fstorr.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 12:37:49 CDT 2004

Stuart Young wrote:
> Anyone got any good examples of styling a sitemap using CSS?

I've not seen this done, but it's a cool idea and I like your design :)
  If you haven't seen maxdesign's definition list section, it's well
worth a look:

http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/definition/

It's also worth noting the search engine info on that page about <dl>s

> I've actually used <dl> rather than <ul> because these display how I
> want it when unstyled. Is this sematically OK? Are there any CSS issues

The W3C specs seem to say it's okay to use definition lists to markup
name value relationships:

"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues,
with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html#edef-DL

And people seem to be using them as such (or, at least, I do!)

Regards