[thelist] semantic markup

Manuel González Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Wed Jun 2 10:02:00 CDT 2004

El mié, 02-06-2004 a las 14:52, Tim Beadle escribió:

> I happen to disagree. I cannot see any semantic difference between
> except the latter uses less bandwidth.

This is lately a hype holy war issue so i won't engage too much :)

and

<b>Milou</b>

The semantic difference resides in that <b> has no semantic meaning, so
it can't act as a semantic replacement for *anything*. <b> doesn't play
the semantic game better or worse than <span>, <b> plainly plays a whole
different game, the 'style' game, and that game belongs in its own
stadium, the 'Style Stadium'. So, i'd like to see people stop playing
games of style in the 'Semantic Stadium'.

Enough with lame analogies, already! :o)

Come to think of it, there's a case where maybe <b> could be used
properly

<b> Getting naked in public </b>

Because that's, semantically, quite bold

Enough with lame jokes, already! :o)

> I agree with Matthew Thomas [0,1]. I'm sure that you don't. I'm not saying that
> I'm right, but until someone can demonstrate the semantic benefit of using
> where no suitable semantic element exists*.

That's fair, until someone can demonstrate the benefit of mixing
structural and purely visual style elements,  i'll advocate pretending
that <b> and <i> never existed ;)

--
   Manuel trabaja para Simplelógica, construcción web
(+34) 985 22 12 65            http://simplelogica.net