[thelist] CVS/SCM System for Webdevelopment

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Wed Jun 2 09:09:56 CDT 2004

Burhan Khalid said the following on 02-06-2004 15:19:

>   The part that I'm really after is the ability to build websites from a
> source tree.  Sources would be .php, .jsp, .js, etc. files, and a
> command would (a) grab the latest branch/version of these files (b)
> automatically create a directory under a web root and finally (c)
> "build" if necessary -- what I mean by that is change paths, references,
> and so on so that the website is browsable.

At least Subversion allows you to "hook" scripts at various stages. I
use it at "post-commit" (after a succesful commit) to check the branch
and update the directory under web root with the latest changes (update
is faster then checkout). You can let the script do anything you want,
including the changes you mention above. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch05s02.html#svn-ch-5-sect-2.1

If you have the choice between CVS and Subversion, then choose the
latter. It is technically much better and it's mature (now at 1.0.4).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans