[thelist] Cold Fusion

Chris Hayes chris at londonweb.net
Wed Jun 2 11:58:47 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Morris" <thelist at web-designers.co.uk>

> The fact remains that it took Macromedia well over a week to come back to
me
> with a response to that straightforward query and indeed had it not been
for
> the Evolt list, I would still be none the wiser today.

I think I finally understand what your question was.  It wasn't that clear
to me, mind you I was having a slow day/week/month ;)

CF has had sandbox security issues which meant that shared CF boxes would
simply have to have certain tags disabled from the administrator eg all the
following are an absolute no-no.

 CFDIRECTORY
 CFFILE
 CFOBJECT
 CFREGISTRY
 CFEXECUTE

And if possible secure workarounds are put in their place.  We do this with
cffile and cf directory.  Forget cfregistry and cfexecute, I can't see where
you'd want shared users to use these.  There are also few things you can do
with cfobject that cannot be done with custom tags or straight CF.

So if you've written your application to use cffile, the shared server would
either have this disabled or you'd need to use cf_file instead.

I think your question is better aimed at the CF hosting companies, not MM.
And I can see where MM support would be scratching their heads in ConFusion,
although their strange response didin't reflect this.

Yes if you upload your shiny new app, which you've developed on a neat CF
install,  to a shared server,  it will likely fail.  But then you should
always check completely what functionality there is on the target production
server before you start developing, and that caveat goes for all
programming.

Chris